“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” -Micah 6:8
As Christians, we are called to love our neighbours and to be salt and light to the world. The main role of Carelinks is to coordinate existing caring ministry in all congregations; and to lead our church as a whole to develop in this area. Members of the Carelinks Committee come from different congregations of CCiL. We have a passion in meeting the practical needs of the local and global community.
• To Inspire: WHY should we care? What does God think about the needs around the world and in London?
• To Inform: WHAT is social concern? What are the needs around the world? What are the needs in London?
• To Involve: HOW? How do we pray? What can we do?
We promote social concern month every March in CCiL, which culminates in Carelinks Sunday, a day when we particularly focus on why we as Christians should care about social justice. The Carelinks handbook is produced annually with articles on topical social issues and testimonies from brothers and sisters who have served in various projects. Each year we also organise a training and awareness day where invited speakers provide training on the caring ministry.
- New Leaf Counselling Service
- Croydon Chinese School
The Croydon Chinese School runs Cantonese and Mandarin classes on Saturday mornings at Trinity School, Shirley Park, Croydon CR9 7AT. Children aged 5-17 years old are welcome and fees are £155 per annum for 2012 / 2013. Please phone or text 07710 794212 / 07851 006799 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form or further information.
- Weekday fellowship groups for the elderly
Fellowship groups for the elderly meet during the week in Cantonese, Colindale, Croydon (Faith Hope Love Chinese Service Centre) and New Soho congregations for bible study and fellowship. Please contact the congregational reps (see below) for more information.
- Educational and hobby classes
English classes are held at Colindale, New Soho and Croydon (Faith Hope Love Fellowship Chinese Service Centre) congregations, Praise and dance class at Colindale, Chinese painting class, exercise and dance class in Croydon (FHLFCSC) and Mandarin Chinese class at WMC. Please contact the congregational reps (see below) for more information.
Local organisations we support
- Hammersmith and Fulham Foodbank
The Hammersmith and Fulham Foodbank provides emergency food aid to local people in crisis and relies on donations from the public. It is run by Christchurch Fulham. We help by doing food collections periodically at WMC, and providing volunteers to help at supermarket collections and stockroom sorting.
- Christian Centre for Gambling Rehabilitation (CCGR)
Global organisations we support
- CEDAR Fund
CEDAR Fund is a Christian relief and development organisation founded in Hongkong. It exists to live out the integral mission of the Church in partnership with Christians around the world by caring for the poor, facilitating the transformation of lives and communities and advocating and practising social justice. We provide financial support through the Carelinks Fund.
- Home of Light and Love, Kunming
- Operation Christmas Child (Samaritan’s Purse)
Every year Operation Christmas Child collects gift-filled shoeboxes from churches, schools and individuals across the UK and sends them to disadvantaged children all over the world. For many of these children, a Christmas shoebox is the only gift they receive at Christmas. Alongside the gifts, the children are also given the ultimate gift of the Gospel. The Carelinks team encourages our congregations to pack shoeboxes every year, then we collect, check and send them on for distribution.
We are all called to be God’s ambassadors here on earth by loving our neighbours. All are welcome to get involved with the work of Carelinks ministry in different areas. These are some ways:
- Pray- Pray for the work, that God will use the various projects to meet the needs of his people, both physically and spiritually.
- Give time- Many of the local projects need volunteers. You don’t often need special skills, a heart for the poor and willingness to serve is most important. If you can spare some time contact your congregational rep who can put you in touch with the project you are interested in.
- Give money- The Carelinks Fund provides financial support to many of the projects listed. Ways you can give are listed in section below.
- Join the team- Carelinks congregational reps are still needed for many of our congregations. The reps help to raise awareness of social concern issues in their congregation and encourage them to get involved. If you are willing to serve, please speak to your pastoral worker.
The Carelinks fund supports various projects as detailed in the Our Activities section. The yearly target is about £41000. Contributions to the fund can be made in the following ways:
1. Set up a standing order by filling out the standing order application form available from the church office;
2.Make cheques payable to “Chinese Church in London” and mark “Carelinks Fund” on the back;
3.Place cash in envelopes and mark “Carelinks Fund”.
Ex officio- Anita Tang
Advisor- Pastor Chun Kuen Cheung
Members and Congregational Reps- Jane Tang (Croydon), Denise Lo (English), Iris Cheung (Colindale)